Thursday 9 February 2017

"Fake News"

Not exactly sure what fake news is anymore but I get the feeling that this post, while not fake in facts, is going to disappoint (as most of my posts likely do!) as there isn’t a whole lot to report on!

It has now been 10 days since the bell was rung and it is has been a real gift not to travel to the Cross for radiation and not to have swallow those nasty chemical-tasting chemo pills every day (my inner voice, “Hey Bad Ass, you sure you should be taking this crap?”).

While we were warned that the after-effects would last another 2 weeks, I have been disappointed at the slow progress I am experiencing.  The 3 primary side effects are nausea, fatigue, and sketchy short-term memory.  The nausea seems to be slowly improving but is now being linked a bit more to motion, as I experienced by nearly vomiting during an Optometrist checkup last week as he ran me through the typical eye exams.  The good news is that my eyes are basically the same as 3 years ago, which means they escaped any radiation damage!  My energy levels seem to be rising as I painted a bathroom last Saturday!  I also find time most days to hop around on the rebounder for some exercise and a strong lymph system workout!  Short term memory - little progress, maybe worse!  But they have said that can take up to 6 months!  Patience!!

It has been a gift to have Loretta’s routine of February return a bit toward normal as she is spending more time at the office.  It is easy each day to gauge her success by how she enters the back door.  It is great to see someone who loves her work so much!

Here is my challenge and prayer request for this week.  As the new normal sets in for a few weeks I pray that I don’t fall into what Pascal labels a “Gethsemane Sleep”, referring to what the Apostles did when Jesus asked them to watch with Him.  He warns against inattention, drowsiness, and complacency in prayer and in our spiritual lives. Please pray that I may be strong in prayer and faith during this treatment break.  Please pray that I am hearing what God is saying to me.  And I will pray that you, too, hear God’s voice!

Senegalese proverb - “The opportunity which God sends does not wake up the person who is sleeping.”

- Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment