Saturday 26 November 2016

An Unlikely Scene

Yesterday I saw something unlike anything I have ever seen before. Something so rare, so special, and so moving that it made me think "Why don't I see this more often?". This is what I saw...
Derk, Rob, Ed, Greg, Randy, Rick
Mike, Loretta, Doug, Peter
As I saw some of my Dad's close and long-time friends lay their hands on my parents and pray for this page I thought how beautiful, yet sad, this moment was. Beautiful - because my Dad has so many people who love him. Sad - because it takes something so terrible to happen for me to witness this outpouring of love.

As many of you know, my Dad is an amazing man. As we shared in the first post, all of us girls have agreed that our Dad is one of the best people we know (if not the best). What I didn't think we knew (to its full extent) is how many people also think so highly of our Dad. Sure, we know that he is exceptional at his job and a joy to be around, but we didn't know about the deep connections he has with so many people. Colleagues of my Dad have told us that of course we may post their messages on the blog because "I love your Dad publicly." I think it takes a special man, a man like my Dad, to garner a response like that.

If you're in the Christian Education world, you may have heard my Dad talking about the "Competing Story" (a part of Teaching for Transformation). The competing stories are any stories that hide His story - God's story. Over the last several days, I've heard people say "Why did this have to happen to such an inspirational man?" or "I wish this could be happening to me instead of you!". We often focus on the negatives in life - out of this trial we find even more negatives to dwell on. I'm left believing that these thoughts are the competing story. Humankind brought sin and strife into our world - God is the one that shows us His Light even in these dark times.

What we've been shown this last week (and we've said it before) is that our community is astounding. People have often admonished our communities for being too close, where information spreads like wild-fire. God has shown me, in this page, that this wild-fire is productive. How could we get through this time without countless visitors, freezer-meals, notes of encouragement, thoughts, and prayers? The news of my Dad's diagnosis has spread like wild-fire and for that I am grateful - we now have thousands of people boldly asking for healing. That is God's story, yet we are the ones competing with it so often in a time like this.

My Grandma Rita shared with us yesterday that my Dad's Grandpa Monsma used to say "It's better to be respected than to be loved." In my Dad's situation, I don't believe those two things are mutually exclusive. He is both of those to the Nth degree. Sometimes it just takes a life-altering event like this to really show you the truth about someone. And the truth about my Dad is: he is adored.

Today, I'd like to leave you with some words from Jesus Calling, sent to me by a dear friend this morning. "...how precious are my children who remember to thank me at all times. They can walk through the darkest days with joy in their hearts because they know that the Light of My Presence is still shining on them. Rejoice in this day I have made, for I am your steadfast Companion."

- Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment