Tuesday 29 November 2016

The 24+ Hours Post Surgery

I'm not sure what any of us were expecting my Dad to be like immediately after his surgery - but we sure weren't expecting what we got! In many ways, it barely seems that my Dad had major brain surgery a little over 24 hours ago.

Here are some of the ways that my Dad has exceeded our expectations so far:

1. He was awake and coherent less than 45 minutes after he entered the ICU.
2. As soon as we showed up at his bed, he started cracking jokes and doing other things to put us at ease.
3. Less than 20 hours after getting out of surgery, he had some ideas related to his work and wrote himself a note to make sure that he wouldn't forget them.
4. He has had a healthy appetite since about an hour out of surgery.  
5. He looks this bada**:
Taken at about 8:30 this morning.
Taken at about 7:00 this evening. 
My family spent yesterday afternoon and evening waiting to talk to Dr. O'Kelly, the head neurosurgeon.

We were told at approximately 6:00 in the evening that Dr. O'Kelly had just gone into the operating room for an emergency surgery that would last at least three hours. At my Dad's suggestion, my Mom, Tara, Leanne, Ben and I decided that we would head out for a quick dinner.  While we were gone, the intensivist doctor stopped by my Dad's bed for a visit. While we were sad to miss this visit, we were happy to hear from my Dad that the intensivist doctor stated to him that the surgery notes looked good and that my Dad appeared to be recovering very well.

When we returned from dinner, we intended to stick around until approximately 9:30 to hopefully catch Dr. O'Kelly. However, we were told that, after 15 hours of surgery, it was highly unlikely that Dr. O'Kelly would come by later that evening. As such, we decided to say goodnight to my Dad at about 8:30 and we all headed home. As soon as we got home, my Dad texted my Mom saying that Dr. O'Kelly had just left.  Once again, we were sad to miss the visit, but were happy to hear from my Dad that Dr. O'Kelly was very happy with the harvesting and thought that my Dad was healing well.

Dr. O'Kelly also popped by my Dad's bed early this morning before my Mom, Tara, Leanne and I arrived. At this time, he stated that he would come by later when my Mom was back to chat with her.  

Dr. O'Kelly came about 4:00 this afternoon and talked to my Mom, Grandma Rita, and Tara. Once again he said that he was very happy with how the surgery went. We have heard from numerous doctors and nurses that my Dad is doing well and recovering as expected. The swelling and bruising are normal and will decrease as my Dad becomes more active. Dr. O'Kelly says that my Dad will be able to come home within a couple days. 

After the visit from the doctor we went for a walk (my Dad in a wheelchair) around the healing gardens inside the hospital. After that, we visited the chapel where we got to see the stained glass window made by former students of my Dad's from Edmonton Christian High School. 
Looking upon the stained glass window in the chapel. 
And to end the night: another adventure to...watch a few minutes of the hockey game. He even got out of the wheelchair and walked back to his room on his own! 
Thanks again for travelling along with us and please continue to pray for a speedy recovery. 

- Erin 

No comments:

Post a Comment