Saturday 10 December 2016

My Best Man


Doug and Ed
Doug is my best man – he has been for a long time.  Sure, he stood up for me at my wedding but, really, he was my best man before my wedding day.  Long before I even started dating my lovely wife, Harriet, Doug was my best man.  We frolicked through life with an amazing group of friends.  We learned a lot of lessons – many the hard way.  We played, laughed, worked, wept, learned, loved, grieved and matured together.  We shared the highs and low of life, and death, and we did it together.  Doug was a stalwart in this group, sharing his uncommon wisdom with grace and humour and coming up with some of the craziest ideas you could imagine!
Len, Mark, Ed, and Doug
Even though Doug and I have been separated by the Rockies for many years I’ve still connected with him regularly, particularly when I was facing a tough situation or a big decision in life.  Doug’s always been there when I needed him.
I’ll bet a lot of you reading this post know that Doug is your best man too.  Loretta, Tara, Leanne and Erin certainly do – and so do many more.  Doug has that way with people.  His humility and grace draw the best out of those he engages with.   Doug encounters people with genuine interest and authenticity.
I was Doug’s best man too.  I stood up for him at his wedding.  Loretta wanted me riding shotgun, asking me to do my best to keep him in line for that special day!
Doug, Mark, Ed, and Len
I’m standing up for Doug again today – with so many of you.  I’m standing with him on this journey he walks.  I’m standing with Doug and his family to support them in any way I can.  
I’m also standing at the gates of heaven asking, pleading, begging and, like the Bruce Cockburn song says, I’m Waiting for a Miracle.  

- Ed Noot

No comments:

Post a Comment