Wednesday 7 December 2016

Waiting...

The last few weeks around the Monsma household have been an education in waiting.  First we were waiting for tests in the hospital.  Then, we waited for Doug's (my father-in-law) surgery.  Next up was the waiting through the surgery.  Then.... for the doctor to come speak with us about how the surgery went.  Now, we wait for the results of Doug's pathology report and the answers that it will bring.  Waiting, for lack of a better word, is shitty (because there is no better word).  There are 24 whole hours each day to think about what you are waiting for and wishing that you could will the news to come that very instant.  The waiting can bring amazing moments of family, friendship, and prayer.  But, as is human nature, waiting can also open the mind up to fears, worries, and despair. (Really Satan?!?  Give it a rest!)

Last weekend I was reading through one of my all-time favourite books and, in the preface of all places, I found a snippet that sure applied to what we've been going through.  The book is Mere Christianity, written by the incomparable C.S. Lewis. Good 'ole Clive Staples is comparing waiting to standing in a hallway.  The various rooms opening onto this hallway are representative of different life circumstances.  He writes;

"... I am sure God keeps no one waiting unless He sees that it is good for him to wait. When you do get into your room you will find that the long wait has done you some kind of good which you would not have had otherwise."

My first thought when reading this was that, as much as I hate the waiting, it's very comforting to hear, and hopefully know, that God has a purpose in it all.  God has a purpose in everything.  Including the results of Doug's pathology report.  As much as there is a certain doorway from our current hallway that we all hope the pathology report will open, we have to know that whichever door God does open it is for the best.  God's plan is perfect.  It is not always clear to the diminished eyes of humanity, but it is perfect.

Now this brings me to the whole point of my ramblings... Joy.

Just to clarify, by "joy" I do not mean happiness.  I am also not referring to Doug's sister-in-law (although she is delightful!).  What I mean is joy as an attitude of the heart.

In these times of uncertainty and waiting, I have been incredibly impressed by the joy I have witnessed these last weeks in the Monsma house.  This doesn't mean that everyone is always happy and laughing.  There has been laughter, but there have also been tears.  In all of this waiting there has been an amazing attitude shown by each person in the family. And this makes me incredibly proud of you all.

For me, joy stems from trusting three truths (among other things);

  1. That in all things God works for the good of those who love him. (Romans 8:28)
  2. Bad things can never last.
  3. The best is yet to come.

I actually have these three points written down on sticky notes that are placed strategically in my world.  Trusting that God is in control brings me incredible peace and joy.  Most of the time I suck at giving up control to trust in God (hence the sticky note reminders), but when I do, I feel blessed. 

So, this is my true hope and prayer - that in the coming days, God takes Doug's health situation, and the waiting that has come along with it, and does something AMAZING.

So, if you're reading this, please take this minute right now to pray.  Let's be prayer warriors!  There is nothing that cannot be accomplished through faith and prayer!

"We can be sure our prayers are answered precisely in the way we would want them to be answered if we knew everything God knows."  - Timothy Keller

       - Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment