Sunday 15 January 2017

Flowers and more flowers: An update from Doug

In the spirit of thankfulness that Erin so beautifully described in her last post, I thought it wise to provide an update about last week’s treatments.

This past Friday saw us almost half way through radiation, as nine of 20 sessions have been completed.  We are so thankful that our prayers were answered when I was “randomly chosen” for the four week (five days a week) clinical study instead of the typical six week treatment plan.  A daily “chemo-cocktail” is also part of the treatment routine and I need to take it for the full six weeks (seven days a week).  

The typical treatment day has a very specific (annoying) routine that requires me to fast for two hours prior to taking the chemo-cocktail and to take the chemo-cocktail one hour prior to the radiation. There is also compelling research which indicates that fasting increases the effectiveness of the chemo and radiation. As such, the typical day will often see me fasting for up to 18 hours between supper and breakfast.  This may sound challenging but it quickly becomes quite routine!  The bigger challenge is getting my daily food requirements in that short six or seven hour window when I am not fasting. 

We are very thankful that, so far, our prayers are being answered and the side-effects from the treatment plan have been relatively minor. I have some nausea, but my appetite is still quite healthy.  I have also had a slight increase in headaches, though this is to be expected based on what is happening to my brain!  The pain is still being managed by Tylenol. Most days can be enjoyed with family visits and daily tasks, with few side-effects.  Blessings abound!

We also feel very blessed by our proximity to the Cross, especially with the nasty winter that has engulfed Edmonton for the past few months.  On bad days, our round trip to the Cross and home takes about 60 minutes, while fellow patients who we have come to know have daily trips of up to four hours!  What a blessing, especially as my primary driver, Loretta, is still running an accounting business during tax season.   

As another flower, we are grateful that, for our final two weeks, our radiation sessions will start at ten o’clock in the morning. It is nice to get into a routine as far as medication and meals.  This also allows Loretta to have a “normal-ish” morning and deliver me home by eleven o’clock in the morning before heading off to work.  Another blessing!

God also continues to provide “mini-miracles” which are a delightful surprise.  After a terrible night of little or no sleep on Thursday night, I woke up the next morning like all things were normal – no stomach ache, no headache and no radiation session to run off to!  Loretta and I enjoyed a quiet hour or two, reading through the paper and playing some games on the iPad.  

Finally, your regular notes and texts of encouragement continue to be such a blessing.  Please continue to pray that I experience minimal side-effects as I complete this first stage of treatment and for the miracle of the beast to be slain! 

             - Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment