Friday 6 January 2017

Treatment Update

Celebrating!  One week down, three to go.
The Dougler has finished his first week of radiation treatments and seems to be tolerating them well so far. The same goes for chemo. Only 16 more radiation treatments to go! He comes out of the radiation room looking like the lizard man with marks from his radiation mask on his forehead, but that's about the only visual evidence of the radiation at this point.
The Lizard!
During this past Sunday's family meeting, there was quite a bit of nervousness about the upcoming radiation and chemotherapy, as well as a bit of anticipation to finally get the ball rolling. In some ways, it was such a blessing that we got to experience the Christmas season without worrying about radiation appointments and chemotherapy pills. But I also think that it was quite hard on the family to wait for things to get started. For the most part, we are a family of people who spring into action when we get an idea. My Mom would constantly tell us kids to do what needs to be done right when we think about it, instead of waiting. On December 9, we found out my Dad would need radiation and chemotherapy. And instead of springing into action, we had to wait until January 3 for treatment to begin.

Since the treatments have started, I feel like there is a new kind of hope in my family. My Dad has a new schedule to focus on, with the radiation appointments, chemo pills, and all the other supplements he is taking. My Mom seems more calm now that we are doing what needs to be done to slay the beast. The period of waiting was a blessing in that we had time to deal with our emotions. The period of action is a blessing in that we can concentrate on the physical motions instead of focusing only on our emotions.

Every night as I get ready to go to sleep, I think of all the ways in which my Dad has slayed the physical beast that day. I think of the radiation and chemotherapy, killing any cancer cells that may have been left after the surgery. I think about the changes that he has made to his diet that are starving the cancer cells. I think of the supplements that he is taking that flush the dead cells out of his body. I pray that God performs a miracle and fully heals my Dad. And then I pray that God slays the emotional beast for my Dad. I pray for peace, for comfort, and for sleep for my Dad and my Mom. But mostly I pray that my Dad and Mom can feel God's love for them so intensely that it overwhelms them.

We so appreciate all of the prayers offered up for my Dad and our family, and we ask that you continue praying boldly for a healing miracle and for God's closeness and comfort.

- Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment