Tuesday 24 January 2017

Weekly Update from Doug

Words of “wisdom” from the Nooter: “3/4 of the way there – time to pre-order a burger and beer for the 19th hole.  All the best for the home stretch!”  Ed Noot, longtime friend and golf fanatic!  See the blog post from December 10, 2016, for more background on the Nooter.

As of today we are officially 75% of the way through the radiation treatments, with just five sessions left.  We are also 50% through this chemotherapy session.  I am very thankful that the side effects have been very manageable, with some nausea and fatigue in the last week.  We did have a bit of a setback this week as I developed some facial soft tissue edema, which led to an extra doctor visit, but it seems to be under control now.  I went from Lizard Man to Dinosaur Man for a few days.  
My forehead is also becoming quite red from the radiation so I have a rather bizarre looking tan!  When I complained that it was itchy, Tara reminded me to be thankful that it wasn’t my prostate! 

My short term memory is also taking a hit.  I am now being reminded, lovingly of course, by Loretta and the kids - “Text me when you turn the stove off after making breakfast” or “Did you take your pills?” (about 50/day).  I also need a daily list to keep on task.  I was invited by a number of seniors, “Welcome to the club!".  What’s next … Depends?

In fact, this whole treatment process is quite humbling. I am suddenly reliant on others for so many things.  I now hop into the passenger seat rather than the driver’s seat, need to ask others for help with basic home related tasks, and have a scheduled nap time! 

I had my weekly check in with the Clinical Study Nurse and was pleased to hear that all of my important blood counts are still quite strong!  I am so thankful that I was granted admission into the 4-week program rather than the typical 6-week program – 75% completed sounds so much better than 50% completed!  I'm not sure my forehead could handle three more weeks of radiation either!

The Cross has a neat tradition of ringing the "Hope Bell" after one's last treatment. For me, this will be Monday at about 10:30 MDT.  If you are free at that time, listen carefully for three bell rings and ask that God continue to work in my body to bring healing, both during the ongoing treatment and well into the future! 
Monday will also be the final consult with my chief radiologist, who will provide an update on the treatment to date.  I am anticipating that it will be a bit of a challenge to rest peacefully on the weekend and sleep well on Sunday. Please pray for this as well.

Our entire family would like to express our deep thanks for your ongoing and faithful support and prayers.  This support is expressed in so many fantastic ways: the neighbour who often texts on Monday asking which day she may bring supper over; my Mom who provides a wonderful Ribfest every Thursday night (as restaurants are deemed to be too dangerous for my immune system at this point); the folks who fire off weekly texts asking how things are going; and on and on!  We thank God every evening for how you have blessed us and cared for us!  We experience God through you in so many ways!  Storm the gates!!

- Doug


P.S. We have updated the blog to allow you to subscribe to the blog so that you'll receive an email when we add a new post.  You can find the "Follow by Email" option on the right-hand side of the blog when you're viewing either the blog on a desktop or the web version on your phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment